Sunday, May 20, 2007

Brides by Betty

Mom warned me. She told me Betty was difficult.

I found the perfect dress. It has French lace and eyelashes (for those of you not in the know- sniff- you'll just have to wait to see). It also has a hefty price tag.

Enter Betty. After years and years in Sherman, TX Betty is closing shop. Because of this, the beautiful dresses she has are selling for 50-60% off. How could I refuse a quick look-see. Mom and I walk in the door and are promptly greeted by a non-Betty. This girl was all of 25 and pleasant and helpful and knowledgeable. The only trace of Betty I saw was her pantyhose and nice skirt (no 25 year-old working in a bridal salon would wear that by choice). We quickly started trying on gowns and I forgot about Betty-- until the scissors came out.

As non-Betty zipped up one of the gowns, the zipper split all the way down. I was stuck. Non-Betty called for Betty. Betty comes in, looks at the dress, and then walks out of the room. As I stand there feeling exposed, literally and figuratively, Betty comes back in with a pair of scissors obviously reserved for serious sewing. She begins to cut the dress and I feel a pierce of my skin. Non-Betty exclaims, "Betty, watch out!" as she moves the tip of the scissors out of my skin. Betty apologizes, although not profusely, and cuts me out the dress. Much to my horror, I discover that this Betty is not actually THE Betty of Brides by Betty, but another lady named Betty who also happens to work there. At this point, I can only imagine what THE Betty must be like if this Betty non-Betty tried to skewer me!

I didn't find a dress that rivaled the French lace and eyelashes. I did, however, manage to try on and buy a pair of wedding shoes without any comments from THE Betty. She did, however, stand in the background and sigh every time I pulled out a shoe box.

I consider this success.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Me too! Woo-hoo! Every bride needs a story like this en route to her wedding dress.