Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Love Him

My friend Heather just sent me a wonderful list of questions to answer so she could learn more about Mr. Menefee. The exercise of going through these questions was so fun and made me all the more confident that I should become Mrs. Menefee. One answer has kept me smiling since I sent the email.

Question: Describe a time when Craig was doing something at a distance from you, as in, not directly interacting with you, when you looked at him and thought, Wow, I really love him.

Answer: We went to Wal-Mart last Saturday to buy bullets for his new gun which I was going to shoot at the shooting range. There was a young black teenager wearing an obviously handed-down suit-- complete with a safety-pinned waistband--standing behind a table at the front door. He had a great smile and the look of a kid who had risen above the rough times he had seen. He very politely asked Craig if he would like to buy a gospel CD to sponsor a trip he was taking with his church. As I was very practically thinking, "Neither of us like gospel music," Craig graciously pulled out $20 and said, "SURE!" He then asked the kid what he thought the best CD was and the kid just grinned more and handed him one and said with enthusiasm, "This one is definitely the best." Craig told him we'd listen to it as soon as we got back in the car. As we drove down the road, with bullets in tow, listening to gospel music, I realized again that I love him.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Well now I love him too. I mean, I did in the sense that he's my brother-in-law-to-be, but this makes me like him all the more. What a fabulous story.

Unknown said...

This brought a tear to my eye - what a great question and a wonderful answer. I'm so happy for you! And, I'm delighted to have a new nephew-in-law-to-be.